Thursday, December 01, 2005

Well, it's that time of year again. We have reached the last part of Chodesh Irgun - loosely translated as the "kick-off" month of Bnei Akiva, the youth group that my kids belong to. During this month the kids repaint the walls of their clubhouse, which requires a lot of elbow grease, and usually entails a few water fights. "Morale" is another requirement, which entails each group proving that they are the best - by screaming slogans at the top of their lungs. Practicing the skit for the Saturday night finale is also mandatory, which means a lot of late nights for my fourth and fifth graders.

In short, it is a difficult time of year for mothers who want their kids to do their homework, eat regularly, and get a normal amount of sleep.

Since I did not grow up with Bnei Akiva, the usual nostalgia that softens most mothers' attitudes to this period is not available to me.

I get through this time by telling myself that it is just one more cultural adjustment that I have to make. After all, one of the main reasons for moving to Israel was that I wanted my children to grow up here - the best place on earth to be a Jew.

Through the years I have had to adjust to many things (my three year old insisting that he wouldn't call me "mommy" anymore but would now use the Hebrew word "Ima" was just the first of many small sacrifices).But, all in all, what we've gained here in Israel far outweighs the little things that we have "lost".

Just don't ask me to sing the anthem.

1 Comments:

Blogger westbankmama said...

Checking the system.(The blog equivalent of "testing, testing".)

4:59 PM, December 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home