Sunday, September 03, 2006

Little Children, Little Problems, Big Children....

I am sure most of the parents out there have heard the expression, "Little children, little problems, big children, big problems". I used to shake my head in denial, when my kids were little. Dealing with tantrums, diapers, getting up at all hours of the night, or trying to judge if a little one's fever and wierd symptoms meant a run-of-the-mill virus or it was the signal to rush to the emergency room - at 2:00 am - all convinced my young mother's mind that it just couldn't be harder than this...

Well, recent experiences have convinced me that whoever penned this phrase was a veteran parent of teenagers. In Israel they call this age "tipesh-esreh" - a play on the Hebrew words "tipesh" for stupid, and the suffix "esreh" after the numbers 11-19. I don't think I will blog about it - my kids read English after all.

Just know that there is a reason that I may not be blogging too much in the near future, and that I am learning just how much I really love my kids.

5 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

Oh, Westbankmama, I can only relate to what you are going through because I am an aunt of teenagers and I have seen the effects on my sister with her three teenage boys. It definitely takes a lot of love, sometimes tough love, to get through these years. Please take care of yourself and you have my prayers to get through this as best you can.

7:25 PM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

regina - thank you for your thoughts

11:31 AM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

We ALL understand--we're on our third and LAST adolescence...

You've heard the old (non-halachic) story, of course? Sages debated for years as to the exact age of Isaac on the day Abraham planned to sacrifice him. After rancerous debate, the Sages agreed on an approximate age: Isaac had to older than six in order to carry the wood and question his father, but he couldn't yet be 13--because in that case he would be a teenager, and then, it wouldn't be a 'sacrifice.' ((-:

Hang in there!

8:10 PM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

having taught teenagers for several years and having been a teenager, i can only tell you that when my dad calls the teenage years "the stupid years" he is only speaking the truth. i'm just impressed that teenagers in israel are just as hard as teenagers in america!
hang in there, after these years have passed, you and your kids will be even closer from the struggle.

3:00 AM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

aliyah06- very funny!

bec- thanks for your support

8:33 AM, September 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home