Monday, January 09, 2006

A Blessing From the Grocery Clerk

After reading this weeks Haveil Havalim and seeing the posts concerning aliyah, I wanted to share an "only in Israel story" that happened to me last week.

I went to do the family grocery shopping, a chore that I particularly hate. After filling my cart and paying for it, I made my way to the exit. There is a man who stands at the exit and checks your receipt to make sure you've paid for the contents of your cart, and then he stamps it.

This time an older gentleman was in charge. After he stamped my receipt he said "You should have a lot of happiness, health and nachas from your children."

It made my day. Only in Israel do you get a blessing from the grocery clerk.

And in a related point, if you haven't seen the new flash film on aliyah, check it out.

2 Comments:

Blogger bec said...

great post. it's another reason why i'm making aliyah....
on a recent mikvah visit here in golus, i was given a blessing from the mikvah lady and it did wonders for me, especially since i live in a pretty much non-jewish/non-religious area. it's amazing how words from semi-strangers can up one's spirits.

3:48 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

It also points out how careful we should be with our speech - a negative word is really damaging.

Thanks for the comment.

11:04 AM, January 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home