Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Escher Moments

One of MC Escher's famous symmetry prints is of birds and fish. You look at the print and see one thing, then you shift your focus just a bit and you see another. First you see the birds, then the fish, and back again.

I've had a few experiences lately that make me feel as if I'm looking at his work.

I grew up in an assimilated Jewish family, and I discovered Orthodox Judaism through NCSY as a teenager. I've been observant for about 25 years already, and I feel completely comfortable in the frum (Orthodox) world, but I still remember what it is like to think that religious Jews were, uh...wierd. To be honest, I still come across obscure halachot (Jewish laws) which I think are wierd. The main difference in my attitude now is that I've learned a bit of humility - and I know that my perception of "wierd" is more from my finite understanding as a human being than from some inherent flaw in G-d's law.

I came across Chana's post about her feelings about clothes and modesty in Havel-havelim #52. I could completely relate to her feelings - but I could also understood her teacher's point of view.

Birds, fish, birds, fish...

I worked very hard to stop the disengagement from Gush Katif, and I fully believed that G-d would perform a miracle and it wouldn't happen. I only accepted the fact that it would happen when I heard Rachel Handel's live interview on Galei Tzahal radio. In between her sobs she described how painful it all was, and when she said that she had to go and pack her bags I finally accepted that it was all over.

Until this time I would hear others gently trying to suggest that there was little hope - but I deliberately didn't pay attention.

After Arik Sharon had his second stroke I listened to some of the talk shows on the radio. There were people expressing hopes that he would fully recover (or at least recover enough to be able to go home and enjoy his family) and there were others, both doctors and those with loved ones in similar situations, trying to gently explain that the odds were against this kind of recovery.

I could not only understand but feel both ways at the same time. I rooted for the hopeful ones (don't give up, Hashem is in control so anything can happen!), and I agreed with the rational ones (it's important to keep your eyes open, and prepare for a disappointment).

Birds, fish, birds, fish...

1 Comments:

Blogger westbankmama said...

Tova - thank you.

9:14 AM, January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home