Tuesday, January 31, 2006

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough...Go Shopping

Things are a bit jittery at the Westbank household lately. Between the threat of terrorist attacks, nuclear war, and the less lethal but nontheless scary possibility of being thrown out of our house hanging over our heads, the stress level has risen.

I don't know if this is an instinct that all couples with children have, but I find that when one of us is freaking out about something, the other parent is relatively calm. Perhaps this provides the kids with at least one functioning parent at all times - or is just a matter of different personalities marrying each other.

In any case, what this amounts to is that mama and papa have a very different take on one of these threats.

Papa announced out of the blue yesterday that he was going to do a "survival shopping".

My intelligent response to this announcement was, "huh?"

It turns out that he wants to lay in a good supply of things we may need in case Ahmalittlecrackpot, (you know the guy who thinks he has a halo around his head) really does get to play with the new toys his country is building.

My response to this was a bit skeptical. "If he really nukes us, we'll be dead, (G-d forbid)," I said. Papa's logical response was that if he does nuke Israel, and we survive an attack, we will probably be cut off from supplies, living where we do in our bucolic little village in the mountains.

I had to agree with him, so we proceeded to discuss specifics, like shopping lists. My contribution to the list of course included the item most necessary to female survival - chocolate. This suggestion was accepted with the requisite rolling of the eyes. When I innocently said that we wouldn't need batteries for the flashlights because we would probably be glowing in the dark anyway, I received a very annoyed look, indicating that my stab at humor fell flat. It definitely was time for the "yes, dear" mode.

Pappa wants to store our survival goods under my bed. (Why there? I have no idea. Do I look like Freud to you?)

So, sometime next week, the dust bunnies are going to have some company.

I wonder what kind of chocolate to buy?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been married how many years - and you still mispelled "Papa" and forgot to capitalize our family name - "Westbank".

I oughta post about those dust bunnies...

12:58 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

Where did I spell Papa wrong??? (I'm changing the westbank to Westbank now, sheesh..)

1:24 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Regina said...

You should definitely buy lots of dark chocolate... it's supposed to decrease your stress level- and it's healthier for you, too. Oh, and get some peanut butter... lots of good stuff in peanut butter. Although if you're glowing... I dunno then...
Seriously, though, it's probably always better to be prepared than not. Having survived a few hurricanes in the past two years, I know... G-d's blessings on you and your family- and everybody over there.

3:41 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Batya said...

We haven't , but maybe I should get even more yarn for my OT.

9:44 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

how ironic. i just received the OFFICIAL emergency planning guide from our way too local nuclear power plant, detailing what to do in "the event that there's an emergency", when to take our KI-potassium iodide pills, and where our kids might be taken to if they happen to be in school "during such an emergency."
in all honesty, i'd say that in an emergency, i'd trust the israeli govt's care of her citizens over the american govt's care any day.
oh, and supposedly any army issue chocolate rations should be virtually non-perishable. although, i'd be willing to bet that elite sells something along those lines....or how about that chocolate covered matzah? i hear it can last for decades. or at least it tastes like it's decades old...!

12:31 AM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

Regina - thanks for the tips. I know my husband is right, but his calling it a "survival shopping" just tickled me.

muse- you reminded me, I should buy a bunch of mysteries to take my mind off things

bec - I don't even want to think about chocolate covered matza!

8:53 AM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger tafka PP said...

I think in view of Regina Clare Jane's suggestions, you need to consider Reese's. Lots of them.

1:23 PM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

The artist - wow, peanut butter and chocolate together - great idea!

7:22 PM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

phish - I only drink de-caf so I'm not caffeine addicted, but I can understand your sentiment!

9:25 AM, February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home