Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Just Because You Are Paranoid Doesn't Mean That They're Not Out to Get You

Now I know how conspiracy theorists get started.

I tried to get onto blogger yesterday and couldn't, and noticed that it took a very long time to load my blog. I kept trying, but I had the same problem.

I went into some other blogs that are hosted by blogspot, and saw that people were posting as usual. (By coincidence I looked only at blogs that are written by those in America).

Then I remembered the subject of my last post, and what I wrote as my last line. (Go ahead, look, you know you are curious).

Those of us who live in Judea and Samaria, or the westbank (b'laaz, as they say), are sometimes paranoid about the Shabak (the Israeli version of the FBI) listening in to our phone conversations. We joke about it, but underneath we know that in some cases the phones are, in fact, tapped.

That is why I started to become a bit nervous. Could someone be deliberately keeping me away from blogging? The fact that blogger is owned by Google, which is giving in to China about blocking access to blogs, also played a part in my letting my imagination take over...

Then Carl in Jerusalem of Little Green Footballs fame posted there that he, too was having problem accessing blogger in order to post to his blog Israel Matzav....

Jameel at the Muqata clued me in that it was a netvision problem, and Carl added to it that it was even larger than that, but it was affecting quite a lot of Israeli bloggers.

Whew. I'm ok now, but I have a little bit more sympathy for the conspiracy theorists of the world...

13 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

WestBankMama- I actually had trouble creating posts for blogger yesterday so maybe it wasn't just an Israeli thing- we have been having a cold snap here in FL so maybe my computer was freezing up... anyhoo, glad you can blog today!

5:06 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

WBM: Good to see you back :)

Next time, use MuqataNet...

5:12 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger Don Radlauer said...

Ah, but you're not a real conspiracy theorist, my dear. If you were the real thing, you wouldn't abandon your theory all because Netvision admitted (to me, at least) that there is a technical problem that they're working to fix.

A real conspiracy theorist isn't deterred by facts. Facts that (according to most people) would disprove the conspiracy theory (or at least cast doubt on it) are part of the conspiracy according to the conspiracy theorist; and so, as facts mount up against the conspiracy theory, the "conspiracy" itself just gets bigger, more powerful, and more devious.

Being a conspiracy theorist sounds like fun to me; sadly, I just don't think I could make myself think in the right way. Sigh...

6:40 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger AbbaGav said...

Hold on a second. Am I imagining things or did you just call me paranoid? I'm pretty sure of it, I have a good nose for these things. And I'm getting sick of it. Day in and day out, all the whispering behind my back, and then silence the moment I turn or ask anyone about it. I'm so glad you've finally spilled the beans. All these years, the paranoia conspiracy that you've managed to keep quiet. You almost got away with it too. Amazing. Nice try.

7:24 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger AbbaGav said...

Hold on a second. Am I imagining things or did you just call me paranoid? I'm pretty sure of it, I have a good nose for these things. And I'm getting sick of it. Day in and day out, all the whispering behind my back, and then silence the moment I turn or ask anyone about it. I'm so glad you've finally spilled the beans. All these years, the paranoia conspiracy that you've managed to keep quiet. You almost got away with it too. Amazing. Nice try.

7:24 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Heh. :) C'mon, we all know Google only censors stuff in China...

7:48 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger Avi Green said...

My sister could access the server properly on her computer, but I couldn't on mine. From what I can tell, it was apparently a company problem. Luckily, it's been repaired, and I offer a thousand thanks to my company for their help.

That said, Blogger wasn't the only website I've had problems with: I once built a small website on a Florida called Atspace.Com, and then, last August, I found I couldn't access them anymore, and had to move elsewhere. And then, there was the East Valley Tribune in Arizona, which I couldn't reach either.

It's strange that some websites end up becoming inaccessible, but that's the reality even I gotta live with when it comes to electronics.

12:11 AM, February 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, I had the same problem, and AT&T/SBC owns my network. That's why I left blogger, because I was tired of the non-sense (but now my new server is suddenly giving me problems too... coincidence or conspiracy? ;-)

3:13 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

shhh....it's a plot!


but from whom?

4:37 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger Batya said...

And read this for the real story!
http://me-ander.blogspot.com/2006/02/baruch-hashem-back-blogging.html

5:24 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

regina - problems in Florida also?

jameel - thanks

don - you're right

gavriel - ummm, whatever I say won't be the right thing, so, thanks for the comment!

ezzie - well, you know there is a connection between Jews and China, otherwise why would we like Chinese food so much, huh?

avi - I guess we have to take the good with the bad when it comes to techie stuff

tovya - just a coincidence, I'm sure (well, then again...;)

bec - I'm sure your intrepid reporting skills will find out!

batya - haven't read it yet, but I'll head on over

8:46 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger Yoel.Ben-Avraham said...

Thanks for reminding me ... here is a link to a story I just wrote about a similar incident I experienced quite some time ago!

"Just because your paranoid ..."

Thanks,
Yoel Ben-Avraham,
Shilo, Benyamin

5:00 AM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

yoelba- I'll be sure to read it.

10:23 AM, February 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home