Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Megillah Thoughts

Irina tagged me with this, and although Purim was a week ago I will give it a shot. Of course I remember being annoyed at the mothers who bring small children to the megillah reading, especially when they don't take them out when they start to make noise. As a matter of fact, after reading a bunch of blog posts on Purim, I wonder if there is a shul in the world where this doesn't occur!

What I remember thinking about also was the transformation that Esther made in the course of her time in the palace of Achashverosh. She entered it as a naive young woman, who didn't really get into the whole beauty contest thing - but ended up being chosen queen. Later, when Mordechai tells her that it is up to her to try to save her people, she shows a lot of "street smarts" in playing off Achashverosh's jealousy of Haman, to the point where she succeeds in getting him bumped off. Pretty sophisticated stuff. Esther must have learned a lot in the palace - but she kept true to herself as a Jewess by calling first and foremost for a fast and prayer, before she took personal action.

I think most of us can learn a lesson from this. I tag Jameel and JerusalemCop for this one.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

what am i being tagged with?

dont get it

J.

11:58 AM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

WBM: Done! :)

1:17 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

jerusalemcop - I commented on your blog

Jameel - thanks

7:35 AM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Batya said...

We hear the Megillah four times a year here in Shiloh.

When my kids were young, I went to a women's reading at neighbors, and then when they got older, I realized that I couldn't handle the noise, so I always go to small private readings and listen to every word, though the mind may wander...

7:58 AM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

curry 5 shoes
michael kors outlet
louboutin shoes
balenciaga
birkin bag
hermes birkin
lebron shoes
nmd
jordan 4
yeezys

9:29 AM, March 03, 2020  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

goyard bag
curry 6
off white jordan
fear of god essentials
bape
goyard
OFF-White
supreme
supreme
kyrie 7

11:52 AM, October 06, 2023  

Post a Comment

<< Home