Wednesday, September 06, 2006

It Takes a Village

Most people probably roll their eyes at Hillary Clinton's quote that it takes a village to raise a child, because of the source. I used to roll my eyes also - but the events of this past week and a half have proven it true.

I can't describe the details of what we are going through in our family because I think it would do damage - but I can say that it is serious.

When people in our yishuv heard about our problems, many came forth to help. I expected this type of help from my personal friends - because that is what friends are like, after all.

What really surprised me though, was the outpouring of both gestures of support and real, concrete advice and practical help from people that I thought were just acquaintances. It seems that when you live in a village, and you watch what is unfolding in your neighbors lives, and you see their kids growing up, you develop a relationship with them without realizing it. Many, many people who I don't know very well care about my kids - and are willing to give of themselves to help out.

Another reason to love living in the place that I do.

5 Comments:

Blogger bec said...

you're very lucky in that you're in such a supportive community. i hope all works out for you folks. you and your family are in my prayers.

11:07 PM, September 06, 2006  
Blogger Shira Salamone said...

You're fortunate to have such helpful neighbors. Wishing you and your family all the best.

2:50 AM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

Hey, I always thought that's what being a Jew meant--you mean we're NOT a village? (-: Glad your village is there to stand by you and your family.

6:58 PM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger Regina said...

It's amazing how people can step up to the plate when they need to... even without being asked to! I am glad you have so many people that are willing to help and I am keeping you and the family in my prayers.

9:19 PM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger tafka PP said...

Glad to hear you are being supported, and I hope it all "rights" asap.

Shabbat Shalom

11:05 AM, September 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home