Monday, January 01, 2007

Tweety Would Be A Better Name

Last night was New Year's Eve. For some strange reason Israelis call it "Sylvester". I have lived here for years, and I have asked quite of few Israelis, both religious and non-religious, about this strange name, and I haven't received a decent answer. (Whenever I hear this name, though, I can't help but imagine a huge costume party with hundreds of people dressed as black and white cats, accompanied by those smaller in stature dressed as bright yellow birds - complete with lisps!)

Until today. I finally decided to do a search on the internet, and I found out the truth.

Sylvester was a Roman pope who lived in 325 CE, and convinced Constantine not to let Jews live in Jerusalem.

So this "holiday" is called by the name of a notorious anti-Semite.

I'm glad it is just another day in the calendar for my family.

7 Comments:

Blogger Baleboosteh said...

I am so glad you cleared that up WBM!

I have been wondering what all this Sylvester business was about! Lol!

10:35 AM, January 01, 2007  
Blogger kasamba said...

I liked it much better when it was named after a cat!

11:12 AM, January 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa- I have never heard that before... gives one pause...
Considering I came to wish you a Happy New Year, I guess a happy just-another-day-in-the-calendar will do.
May it be a blessing for you and your family, westbankmama.

3:56 PM, January 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

St Sylvester, unless i am much mistaken, is the saint of jan 1. Every day of the year is ascribed to a saint(e), and in europe people celebrate the day of the saint that shares a name with them. New year's eve is also called sylvester in Germany.

3:17 PM, January 02, 2007  
Blogger westbankmama said...

baleboosteh - the mystery is solved!

kasamba - yes, sylvester will always be a cartoon to me

regina - best wishes to you too

david - ok, so that makes more sense - I guess someone picked up the custom in Europe

11:38 AM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger tafka PP said...

What David UK said. Now I'm trying to remember "for all the saints" from school...

12:06 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Batya said...

great post
In the 36 years we're here, the day has evolved from a foreign custom to something most Israelis take for granted.
How sad.

9:30 PM, January 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home