Sunday, December 24, 2006

Rak B'Smachot

I think most Jews are familiar with the phrase "rak b'Smachot" - "only at simchas", referring to our wish to be able to see our family and friends only at happy events. Even my parents, whose connection to Yiddishkeit was somewhat tenuous, would use this phrase when saying goodbye after a family celebration, or unfortunately, a funeral.

I thought of this phrase because Chanukah time is one of the busiest times in my family in terms of celebrations. My father's birthday (81 this year) and my mother-in-law's birthday (70 this year) always come out during this time. I have a number of nephews who were also born at the end of Kislev (Bar Mitzvah's past and future), and it turns out that good friends also have boys who were born during Chanukah.

So, for a family that hardly gets out to a restaurant, I have eaten out twice in the past three days, and we have a Bar Mitvah tonight.

Added to this is the fact that family members are moving from one apartment to another and we will help them out, and I have my one-day orientation at work this week.

This long introduction is just meant to say that I will be busy this week, and blogging will be light, but thank G-d it is because of good things.

Rak B'Smachot!

4 Comments:

Blogger aliyah06 said...

Overwhelming, of course---but so many smachot! Such a blessing! Enjoy!

4:07 PM, December 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twenty eighth of Kislev, right here, baby!

And we should only have simchas.

2:16 AM, December 25, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

mazel tov!

3:51 AM, December 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that it's due to good things.

6:56 AM, December 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home