Tuesday, April 11, 2006

They Don't Make it That Way in the Old Country...

We all have memories of favorite foods from the holidays, and sometimes recipes are handed down for generations. Then again, part of the satisfaction of making the Pesach seder in your own home is the ability to make things "your" way. Since I never made the seder before making aliyah, when it came time for me to make it for the first time I decided to combine some old fashioned foods with some with a more Israeli feel.

I remember my parents making the charoset with apples, cinnamon and Manishewitz wine. In Israel, I make it a bit differently.

Here is my recipe:

apples
chopped walnuts
date spread
date syrup

The date spread and syrup make it sweet - and sticky - which is perfect as the charoset symbolizes the clay that the Israelites used to make bricks when they were slaves. It is great the next day as a dessert.

I wish all of you a very happy and kosher Passover - and look forward to hearing about your holiday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Scottage said...

ok, that sounds REALLY GOOD! I love Pesach foods. Chag sameach!

8:44 AM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

thanks scottage - have a great Pesach!

12:12 PM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger Michael Kopinsky said...

Easiest charoset recipe ever, and it looks like the mortar from the bricks:

Applesauce
Ground nuts (from the bag is easiest, or else you can grind them with a blender or food processor)
Wine

Combine all ingredients, and serve.

It looks different from other people's charoset, but it tastes good.

8:50 AM, April 16, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

michael - this sounds good too, but I am in love with the taste of the date spread!

9:09 AM, April 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home