Monday, July 10, 2006

The World Cup Has Affected My Mind

The World Cup has affected my mind. No, not in the way you might think. I haven't gone crazy this month because I am a big fan of soccer - and no, I haven't gone nuts because the men in my family are. We don't own a television, and my kids watch short clips of the games on the internet. I do like to see spectacular plays, and I think that it is really cool when they get a goal with their heads - so my kids call me over to see those. Last night they went to a friend's house to see the last match, and were very happy that Italy won. But on first glance the World Cup seems not to have affected me all that much.

Except for yesterday. I heard another news report that another Kassam rocket fell in the Sderot but didn't kill anyone (thank G-d). The wierd thing was that I had a strange image pop into my head. I imagined rows of angels hovering over the houses in Sderot, dressed in the traditional Hollywood angel uniform - white dress, white wings, and a halo over their heads. But in addition to this usual uniform they had one special addition - a pair of goalee gloves. I had this mental video clip in my head of a Kassam rocket heading toward someone, and an angel smacking it out of the way. If you hear some of the stories coming out of Sderot (and the hundreds of similar miracles that happened in Gush Katif over the years) it doesn't seem all that wierd.

I think.

Who knows, maybe G-d is a soccer fan?

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeremayakovka said...

The World Cup will come and go. May your visions remain and recur.

10:37 AM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Jeremayakovka said...

(btw, JMK2006 = Jeremayakovka)

10:38 AM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger kasamba said...

May the angels always play defense for us...

2:58 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger BBJ said...

What a lovely, offbeat, image!

8:37 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

jmk - a nickname, huh? Hopefully your good wishes will come true.

kasamba - AMEN!

phishaliyah - bumper sticker material....

balabusta - yeah, I thought it was wierd too...

9:04 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Erica said...

I'll tell you one things for sure ... G*d is certainly a New York Mets fan.


... Lets Go Mets!


In any event ... this post, sans the phenomenal imagery of course, brought to mind your post from a few months back about the kassam that slammed into the teacher's chair and didn't kill him because he was davening with his students ... they may very well have intervened with the Almighty on his behalf ... and stories such as that always restore my faith when I tend to be running on empty.

5:22 AM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

erica - Mets fan, huh?

7:18 AM, July 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home