Thursday, September 14, 2006

A Change in Blogging Style

My blogging is going to be a bit different for the forseeable future - at least in part. In addition to my usual commentary on politics and the media in Israel, I am going to blog about what is happening in my personal life - without the details.

This will of course be frustrating for those of you curious sorts - and that means all of you, because who else reads other people's blogs after all? I still think that I can't write about the facts of what happened - although I may write a novel someday - the plot is that interesting. But I can try to sort out some of the thoughts and feelings arising from the events.

"Gam zu l'tova" (loosely translated as "this is also good") is a strong concept in observant Judaism. This means that we believe that everything that G-d does is ultimately good for us - even if it is painful, and even if we can't see the good in it right away. The concepts of faith in G-d and the need for patience are reinforced here - and I believe in them wholeheartedly.

It will take a long time to see all of the good coming from the recent events - but one small thing is already apparent.

Westbankpapa and I are going to see a professional in order to sort out our feelings. We've told our kids about it(and will probably take them for one session). I think this is a very good lesson for them - to know that there is nothing to be ashamed of in seeing a psychologist if you need to talk about things.

I don't know how much the stigma of this still exists in other communities. In my opinion it is practically non-existent in the dati leumi community (national religious), especially in the communities in Judea and Samaria where terrorist attacks have touched almost all of us in both direct and indirect ways. Going to see someone after a trauma is par for the course.

One good thing, (and counting...?)

8 Comments:

Blogger Don Radlauer said...

Hi WBM -

Well, you indeed didn't give a lot of detail about whatever's going on! But whatever the problem is, I think it's good and healthy that you and WBP are recognizing that there is a problem and taking positive steps to deal with it.

I very much hope that you and WBP are able to work everything out - and that you won't need too much faith and patience to see the good in what's happened.

Shana tova (a bit early, but I'll be out of circulation next week),

-Don

1:33 PM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

I grew up in a family that believed any form of counseling was for people who are 'weak' and such help was disdained....a view I quickly got over as a young adult away from home, when I realized that my family was totally dysfunctional and I needed help to deal with a lifetime of pain---counseling, whether for immediate trauma or long simmering issues, is definitely a plus and IMHO the person(s) who actively recognizes that there is an elephant in the living and seeks help to deal with it, is the stronger, smarter human being. So kol hakvod! Go for it, and may blessings come your way!

5:08 PM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger Regina said...

Mr. Sparkle and I go for counseling as well... we believe in preventative medicine! It's difficult sometimes, well, a lot of the times, but it's worth it in the end. It really is...

8:46 PM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

you shouldn't feel weird about getting counseling for whatever the reason. we also felt the need to get an outside perspective on some issues that were surfacing at one point. we sought out a psychologist who really, really helped us to see things in a way in which we hadn't before.
he actually gave us a few words of wisdom which were so helpful that we still go back to those things today in order to deal with things that sometimes come about.
and remember, when in doubt, there's always chocolate. :D

5:32 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Batya said...

Good luck!

2:26 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Ezzie said...

B'hatzlacha, WBM.

7:19 AM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Shira Salamone said...

Coming from a completely different angle, I can tell you, having raised a child with disabilities, that it works out much better in the long run when one faces problems and deals with them than when one pretends that they don't exist and/or that they'll go away by themselves. I wish you, your husband, and your children all the best, and a Shanah that's truly Tovah.

9:41 AM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

don - thank you for your good wishes, and shana tova early to you

aliyah06 - I also grew up in a family where at least one parent didn't trust pyschologists - but I outgrew (to some extent) that prejudice. Thank you for your support.

regina - so you have had good experiences with this?

bec- chocolate! why didn't I think of that?!?

phish - the dreaded vegetarian phase. I can relate.

batya - thanks

ezzie - hey, you're back now? I like your guest bloggers, but I like you better!

shira - thank you so much for your good wishes.

5:04 PM, September 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home