Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dueling....

Prayers: My fast went pretty well this year. I usually start to get lightheaded about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and spend the last few hours of Yom Kippur in bed. This year I was able to sit on the couch and read a bit, and the last hour of the fast I sat outside in my front yard and enjoyed watching the sun go down (I can't concentrate enough to pray, but I do reflect). My settlement, like most in the Shomron (Samaria) is on a hilltop. Sound carries pretty well, so at the exact minute that the sun set I heard the Muslim muezzin in not one, but two nearby Arab villages, call out his call to Muslims to pray. I would guess that this prayer marks the end of the daily Ramadan fast this month. The prayer call lasted about ten or fifteen minutes, and as it ended, I was able to hear the prayers from our nearby synagogue. The last Avinu Malkenu (Our Father, Our King) is usually belted out loud enough to shake the rafters, and I was able to hear it clearly from my front yard. I thought this set of events was pretty cool - another reason why I love living where I do.

Palestinians: So after being away from the news for a few days, I turn on the radio this morning and I heard about the violence between the Palestinians over the weekend. The Jerusalem Post has a report about it here.
Any minute now we will hear some Arab leader or other admonish them to focus on the real goal during Ramadan, jihad (in other words, killing Jews.) I just hope our guys are as vigilant as they have been in order to foil these plans.

Politicians: Another little bit from the news this morning is that Amir Peretz (Labor leader) is now making overtures to Ehud Barak to join him politically. It seems that the "mordim" (rebels) in his party are giving him a hard time and he wants some reinforcements. I can't understand how the man responsible for running away from Lebanon with our tail between our legs can be a political asset, but then again, I am a right wing fanatic, what do I know?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you always, Westbankmama. You are a good person at heart :)
Your friend Miguel.

PS Your blog is very interesting and most informative. You're a good writer ;)

10:03 AM, October 03, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

Miguel from Mexico? Glad to have you read my blog! I haven't commented lately on LGF - the holidays and personal stuff has me busy. But I'll try to get over soon...

11:04 AM, October 03, 2006  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

I'm just waiting patiently patiently patiently for new elections to roll around so we can throw the current crop of bums out....you're not alone since recent polls show Kadima in the toilet if voters voted today.

1:18 PM, October 03, 2006  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

You Right Wing Fanatic, you. ;)

9:42 PM, October 03, 2006  
Blogger tafka PP said...

I had an hour long conversation with a Muslim from Bethlehem yesterday about the real meaning of Ramadan. He shared some beautiful explanations, actually. And also said that the extremists were giving Islam a bad name.

Food for thought, as it were. (Or not food, being as we're discussing Ramadan)

11:36 AM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Don Radlauer said...

It's not you, WBM - I'm a raging centrist, as you know, and I also can't figure out why anyone would consider Ehud Barak as a political asset!

11:04 PM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Don Radlauer said...

BTW - whatcha think of my new pic? I'm still ugly, but isn't my horse (Sapir by name) a cutie?

11:07 PM, October 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man you are a right wing fanatic.

Peace from the Ghetto.

10:55 AM, October 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home