Wednesday, December 06, 2006

This Just In....

I couldn't resist publishing this "only in Israel" story that I received in an e-mail from Debbie Wechsler. Even though is too late for my roundup, I think it is a great story....

"I know it is waaaaaaaay too late for a 'only in Israel' story but none came to mind around the time of your deadline (even though I have lived here for over 30 years - and experienced many such moments)

Until last night - when my plumber came over to do what plumbers do. As he walked into the apartment he immediately noticed I had painted the walls in the hall a different colour. I explained that I had been to a Rav for a Brocha (as I am still single and want to be married) who had told me that a variation of 'meshane makom meshane mazal' can also be achieved by painting a few walls or moving around the furniture. My lovely plumber, Eli, walked back out to the front door and asked me when I had last checked my mezuza. I told him all the mezuzot in the apartment were new when I moved in and are not yet due to be checked. He then proceeded to tell me that I had positioned mine too high and would I bring him a kippa so that he can replace it and make the Brocha. Being single and female I don't have kippot hanging around so I folded a clean tea towel which he put on his head. He replaced the mezuza and said the Brocha and then told me to step into the house using my right leg first.

I cannot think of a plumber anywhere else on this fine earth who would care that I am single, who would recognize the importance of finding a zivug, who would jump into action and do what he could to bring about the change needed. And all with no fan fare and a very sincere heart. Do you?"

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful story!

1:35 PM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger JJ said...

What a great story- you see that kind of thing in this country all the time, and I love it!

I thought it would end with Debbie and the plumber hitting it off :-)

1:49 PM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger mother in israel said...

Hoping that you find your beshert very soon.

1:54 PM, December 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stories like this remind me why I'm proud to be an Israeli Jew. Thank you for sharing it.

2:07 PM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger Ezzie said...

That's awesome.

5:24 PM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

everybody - I'm just sharing what Debbie wrote to me - and I thought it would give people a lift

6:08 PM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

what a beautiful story.

2:49 AM, December 07, 2006  
Blogger tafka PP said...

Hilarious!

1:04 PM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was awesome.

One of the things that was so shell-shocking when I came back from Israel was the deficiency of mesuzot in the US.

Living in Brooklyn they're not too hard to find, but it's still not the same as in Jerusalem, where they're on 99 percent of the homes and businesses I went into.

I miss that.

4:18 PM, December 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home