Wednesday, January 03, 2007

More Than Just a Prefix to "Pong"

This post is for those of us who write blogs but are, shall we say, "geekingly challenged". The rest of you can just scroll by...

Treppenwitz has an interesting post about "pinging" (is that a real verb?). It seems that some blogrolls can change according to when the blogs contained in them have been updated, (putting the most recently updated blog at the top)and notifying the various sites that do this is called "pinging".

He explains it in detail, and I followed his advice and changed a setting in my blogger template.

I also learned how to manually ping blogrolling.com.

He also has a link to a post about trackbacking, (which I understand in general, but I haven't figured out how to do myself yet) and another one here with general advice about blogging.

I appreciate this type of post (although I am a far cry from a southern redneck, thank you very much!). I also remember an advice post from Abbagav about a year ago, but I couldn't find it. When searching I kept getting humorous posts about advice to the lovelorn....Abba, if you are reading this - I'd love to link to it, because I remember finding it very helpful at the time, and I'm sure others would too.

11 Comments:

Blogger treppenwitz said...

Don't thank me... I'm a giver. :-) Glad you figured things out in the end.

9:42 AM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Ways of Zion said...

reading this remindes me of my husband....he would understand it all, not me!

4:35 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Ezzie said...

What setting did you change? FWIW, I believe Blogger blogs already ping blogrolling.

6:19 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger kasamba said...

The closest thing I will ever get to understand pinging is ping pong.

And even then I'm not very good.

9:39 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Soccer Dad said...

I use Bloglines for my blogroll. Any changes in Bloglines are reflected at my site without my having to get into the template.

11:13 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger bec said...

*baffled*

1:33 AM, January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi WBM: this is for bec...

bec, I'll explain to you sometime...(you're so cute, bubele).

3:07 AM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger westbankmama said...

treppenwitz - you know, I don't understand this phrase that you use all of the time. Shouldn't people say thank you, even to someone who is a giver?

mother of israel - yes, the male of the species sometimes gets these things more than the female

ezzie - I went into blogger settings, under "publishing" and clicked "yes" to notify weblog.com

kasamba - it's nice to know that there are others like me out there

soccer- yes, I get a lot of traffic from people using bloglines

bec and erica - I guess I should be flattered that you guys are having personal conversations on my blog! (westbankmama's coffee klatch, where's the virtual danish?)

10:53 AM, January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hachnasat orkhim on the web, WBM....

You just make us feel so...at home, here.

:D

7:25 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Shira Salamone said...

Thanks for the tip, WBM--I went right over to Trep's and checked it out. I'm so with you on the "geek-challenged" bit, as you can see.

4:35 AM, January 12, 2007  
Blogger Shira Salamone said...

Or not. Now *there's* proof of being tech-challenged: I can't get the durned link to work!

Tech-challenged, take 2.

Let's see whether it works *this* time.

4:39 AM, January 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home