Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Happy Aliyah Anniversary to Me

Ahh, I remember it well. The day we actually made aliyah, fifteen years ago. We took a night flight hoping our very active two year old son would sleep for most of the way (didn't work). When we finally made our descent, I pushed the little cutie to drink as much as possible so that his ears wouldn't hurt. As the wheels touched down at Ben Gurion airport and we felt the euphoria of "Yes, we are finally home!", my son took the opportunity to throw up all over my skirt. I remember thinking to myself, is this the way it is going to be?

Truth be told, that is the way it is. Moments of unbelievable euphoria and a contentment that is indescribable, punctuated by some nasty surprises, and with a lot of mundane stuff in between.

Sort of like marriage, or raising kids, or that fantastic career that has its ups and downs....but that you wouldn't change for the world.

I have a lot of good posts to put up tomorrow - Snoopythegoon, Abbagav, and Treppenwitz have joined in the fun, and Jameel and the Purple Parrot have promised me that it will be in by tomorrow...

Stay tuned!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mazal tov! So happy you're sharing this with the whole world.

12:39 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Oleh Yahshan said...

Mazal tov on your Aliyah Anniversary. I would send you my own story but I really can't remeber since I was your sons age at the time (2). But I do look foward to hearing the other stories.

1:25 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Dot Co Dot Il said...

Mazal Tov on the milestone!

1:42 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Rafi G. said...

mazal tov!
I hope you did not keep the vomit as a souvenir..

2:39 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger AbbaGav said...

Mazal Tov, what a nice way to celebrate. I also had a puke-on-a-plane incident. Unfortunately, I wasn't wise enough like you to get my child to wait until the end of the flight. And I also was not wise enough to pack a change of clothes for ME in the carry on (lots of diapers and kid pajamas, but no clean shirt). So I sat in a moist, vomit-wiped shirt for the duration. Fortunatly, I was in a row with my family so no one suffered who wasn't already used to it.

7:21 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

mazal tov WBM

i'll try to get mine dome by the morning too.

J.

10:29 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Regina said...

Let me add my Mazel Tov along with the rest, wbm! We just had a friend who made the trip over to Israel- not for aliyah, mind you, but she said it was the most amazing experience ever!

4:56 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

mazel tov!
i'm so glad you shared that. it was a great reminder that while idealism is nice and all, there is a degree of practicality that we have to think with when making the aliyah leap.
and thanks gavriel for advising the change of clothes. i'll have to remember that!

7:05 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Emanuel Ben-Zion said...

Mazel Tov!

2:07 AM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

To everyone - thank you for your good wishes!

10:19 AM, June 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 2006, we too celebrated 15 years since our aliyah. Despite the hardships, these have been blessed years. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

10:45 PM, April 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home