Thursday, June 01, 2006

Making the Dream Come True

A few weeks ago I put out a call for posts on why people decided to make aliyah. I half expected a lot of the same stuff, and was surprised to see that, although there is some overlap in reasons why people make aliyah, each person's story really is unique.

Some decisions were a natural part of a process, like Batya's. In contrast, Rafi writes that his coming to Israel was almost coincidental (although we all know that there really are no coincidences).

Stillruleall describes how he made his decision because of the terrorist attacks he witnessed, and not despite them. Check out his story.

Bec describes her emotional attachment to Israel "you've never felt as at home anywhere as you do at that moment", but Moze explains the practical reasons, and even divides them into categories!

Sometimes it is the little things that make a difference. Snoopythegoon tells about how a simple melody made a huge impact on him, and Treppenwitz writes about how wonderful it is that his company acknowledges family milestones.

Emahs does the typical Jewish thing and answers a question with a question when she asks "why NOT make aliyah"? Abbagav does the atypical and says "it's a great place to visit AND I want to live there".

Purpleparrot explains how her path to Israel took some twists and turns, and that she almost became a settler, (we have to do something about that math requirement...) and I describe my turning point during the war in Lebanon, which down the road led me to become what she didn't.

And, of course, there is Jameel's story , including a very funny demonstration on how NOT to open a milk bag.

I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did. Happy cheesecake everybody!

Update: While I was making my lasagna it seems that Jerusalemcop posted his two shekels - so don't forget to read his also...

8 Comments:

Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

where are all the thanks to WBM for this idea?

J.

10:26 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Dreams from a Parallel Life said...

I fell in love in Jerusalem and later fell in love with Jerusalem.
Of course there's more to it than that but I like the idea anyway.

5:13 PM, June 03, 2006  
Blogger Menachem said...

i hadn't read your post asking people to tell their stories.. but on my own i had posted this on my blog. not quite what you were asking for, but i was feeling really angry and frustrated with my aliya (something i'm sure we've all felt at one point or another), and tried to write down my reasons for doing it.

12:38 AM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I really enjoyed this post.

9:05 AM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

Jerusalemdreams - sounds romantic

menachem - welcome to my blog. I'll head on over and read soon...

Jack - thank you

10:18 AM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger Batya said...

great idea

10:58 PM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger Lady-Light said...

WBM, is it too late to write something about my [first] Aliyah? We made Aliyah in '77 and yiridah in '81, but we now have four outa five kids (grown) in Israel, and are thinking of making a second Aliyah. Do we even qualify for your call for posts on why people made Aliyah?
Just so you know, when we made yiridah I went into a deep depression, and to this day I miss Israel very much. So let me know, please, ok?

6:06 AM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

Batya - thanks

Lady-light - of course you can write something - I think that a lot of people from America who are thinking of aliyah will benefit from your story and point of view!

7:37 AM, June 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home