Wednesday, April 26, 2006

They've Started Already

You know those little creatures with seemingly endless energy, scurrying back and forth carrying objects that sometimes weigh more than they do?

No, I'm not talking about ants. I'm referring to the young boys in our yishuv who are already collecting wood for their bonfire on Lag B'Omer, a holiday that occurs this year on May 16th. (The girls collect also, but they don't start so early).

The energy expended at this task always amazes me, as does the ingenuity of some of the kids and how they figure out how to shlepp things from one point to another. I've seen ropes tied to bicycles and baby carriages (minus the usual precious cargo, of course) filled with sticks pressed into service. Now I know where men get their love of pickup trucks!

There is also the endless "turf wars" - where each group of kids claim that they found the perfect spot for the bonfire before anyone else even thought of it. The boys also know down to the last stick how much wood is in their stockpile, and G-d forbid anyone should even THINK of stealing some...

We already have an impressive pile in the driveway. Pretty soon there won't be enough room for the car, and there are still almost three weeks left...

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

it is pretty impressive! i remember going to the Old City and on a little tour by one of my teachers, seeing all the kids with their stacks of wood all ready for bonfires on the roofs (rooves?) of the buildings. As long as they keep it civilised and all in good spirits!! :)

3:48 PM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

sarah - welcome to my blog. If only my kids would show such enthusiasm for their homework...

8:27 AM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger Scottage said...

Yes, I have great memories of Lag B'Omer, sitting on the beach just north of Tel Aviv with a group of friends, playing guitar, and singing around the fire. Here, you try that and you're sure to get busted for something, probably inciting a riot. Great post.

8:59 PM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

that is so awesome.

11:15 PM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger Emanuel Ben-Zion said...

boys will be boys

2:05 AM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Lady-Light said...

How old are your children? May I ask how many you have?
I have four out of five currently living in Israel, and (Baruch Hashem) friends from the Golan almost to the Negev. Actually it's funny, b/c my Negev friends moved up to the Golan (!), so I don't know anyone south of the Gush anymore!

7:43 AM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

scottage - have you written about your time in Israel on your blog? I would love to read it.

bec - yes, the holidays, even the "little" ones, are really special here in Israel.

emanuel - you said it!

lady-light - I have a teenager, and a ten year old and an eleven year old.

10:45 AM, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home