Wednesday, November 22, 2006

How About Some Good News

I couldn't take the bad news anymore, and in the spirit of Thanksgiving I decided to look for some positive things to blog about. I came across this heartwarming article about the arrival of some of the Bnei Menashe here in Israel.

For those of you who don't know, this is a group of people who trace their ancestors back to the lost tribe of Menashe, who were exiled 27 centuries ago by the Assyrians. (Try to wrap your brain around that - 2700 years!) They have kept the laws of Shabbat, family purity, and circumcision, although they do need to convert to be considered Jews. They have had a very long road home, and we welcome them with open arms.

Would you believe that baseball is coming to Israel, and that an Israeli company has developed an organic tea that helps diabetics? This and other good news can be found on the Israel21C blog.

Although this is a family blog, I just couldn't resist including this article. You wouldn't believe what this couple is proposing everyone do in order to bring peace. (Brought to you by Victoria's secret....)Are we ready to synchronize our watches?

Kasamba has a very funny post (when isn't she funny?) about what Thanksgiving means to her, and I am sure most of us can relate to what she is thankful for.

Personally I am very grateful for a link I received from someone who calls herself Colorado Blue (a fellow LGF lizard). She basically confirmed that my blog is worth something, and is fulfilling the role that I envisioned. Here is what she said on a forum: "..the average West Bank Israeli is a decent human being. I think that [they, ed] should read this blog and aquaint themselves with this lady." "Unfortunately the characterizations of West Bank Jews are that they are all monsters interested in oppression and apartheid. That's patently ridiculous. And claiming that it is so is, ahem, bigoted."

Thank you Colorado Blue!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. I enjoyed the article about the Bnei Menashe.
It must be such an emotional time for them.
As to your last point, I'm not sure that so many people believe West Bank Jews are monsters! I didn't even before I read your blog despite my mixed feelings about that part of Israel.

9:04 AM, November 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa- a global WHAT for peace?! HA! I will be too stuffed with food to do anything like that today!
Anyway- I think you are incredible, westbankmama. You certainly have always given me a fresh persepctive on what is happening in your part of Israel. I so appreciate your efforts in this.

3:21 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

Thank you! I needed this--a welcome break from the ceaseless doom and disaster scenarios--reminds me of some of the REAL reasons to love and cherish my nation.

9:03 PM, November 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home