Thursday, May 04, 2006

Neo-Nazis Desecrate Petach Tikva Synagogue

The Jerusalem Post is reporting here that the great synagogue in Petach Tikva was broken into and desecrated sometime last night.

Someone wrote Hitler on the doors, drew swastikas, and threw the contents of the ark onto the floor.

As uspsetting as it is to me to read about it, I can't even imagine how horrible it must be for the Holocaust survivors who live in the area.

They say the police took fingerprints and are investigating. I hope they catch whoever did it.

Update: Video here on Ynetnews.com. For more background into Russian immigration to Israel, I'm Haaretz has info here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

I can't even believe things like this are still happening- where does it come from? Destroying property is bad enough but desecration of holy articles and a holy place is unforgiveable. Yes, I hope they catch whoever did it as well... so sorry to hear this.

5:37 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

This is horrible. Don't they have any guards there at night? : (

7:38 PM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is atrocious. I saw the same in Poland, but was metally more prepared for that.... The "thot plickens", we read, as an IDF reservist as a swastika tattoo and his mother has ties to neo-Nazi groups. How many Russians of dubious descent and/or loyalty immigrate just to get out of Russia? (I assume not many....?)

12:53 AM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

regina - it really is painful to see swastikas on Torah scrolls in 2006, in Israel, in a synagogue that I pass by frequently (I do a lot of my shopping in Petach Tikva not far from where this synagogue is located)

Irina - I don't think that they have guards at night. Most places in Israel don't - we need guards at places where the public congregates to protect us from suicide bombers - but locked doors are usually enough to protect other places.

jeremayakovka - see I'm Haaretz for more info on this subject. A lot of Russians immigrate because it is financially appealing to them - even if they are not Jewish and hate Jews.

8:03 AM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

Can I second the motion? Make neo-Nazi activities punishable by loss of citizenship and repatriation to whatever hell-hole the offender came from. And add to that a permanent bar to re-entry---no flying back to help mom celebrate Xmas....

4:59 AM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger westbankmama said...

ds and aliyah06 - I agree with you guys completely. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

9:06 AM, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home